Sunday, 8 September 2013

A cold is never 'just a cold' with CFS

So when I mentioned the other day that I thought I was coming down with a cold, unfortunately it was true..

Now I'm experiencing a flare-up of my CFS as a result. This morning I couldn't straighten my arms because the muscles were so tight, it hurt every time I moved, I was tired and weak- I knew I was in for a rough day.

Viruses in particular tend to cause nasty problems with my CFS, so it was entirely predictable.. I think I've mentioned in the past that this is believed to be as a result of the stimulation of my immune system, which is involved in my ME/CFS, hence the problems.

I'm intending to take things really easy today in the hope that the flare will not result in a full relapse, because it would be really bad timing (not that there's ever a good time for a relapse..!). I'm dosed up on painkillers (well, no more than usual really, but I might take 1 extra tramadol, and I took cold capsules instead of paracetamol..) and am lying in bed watching catch-up TV on my phone, and listening to music when I'm wanting to rest my eyes.

Pillows are amazing things during flares, I have got myself properly propped up and vaguely comfortable- 1 thing that all sufferers should definitely invest in at the point of diagnosis, lol.

Anyway, I'm going to get back to doing nothing and riding out the pain.

Edited to add:
It's now the evening and I've never been so concerned about the prospect of my medications having to last me through until morning. My pain levels have been horrific today- there have been times when I have been literally writhing around in agony, but the more I moved, the more pain I ended up in.. Really awful. So the thought of taking my medications an hour earlier than planned worries me, not because the pain relief wouldn't be welcome right now, but just because I feel like I could cope a little longer, and I don't know what sort of state I'm going to be in when the next dose runs out in less than 6 hours time and I'm trying to wait it out until morning.. It's tough because I want to try to get an early night but at the same time, I don't want to take medication prematurely. But then I might sleep through once I'm comfortable and manage to fall asleep anyway, who knows, so it might not be an issue.

It's these little dilemmas that make living with chronic illness just that little bit tougher than it would otherwise be. Things are just constantly slightly less straightforward and there are always just a few more things to take into consideration or work around.

2 comments:

  1. The best non-med quick acting immune system strengthener is green tea. Taste not too great until you get used to it. Add honey and you've a doubly good drink. Have 3 times a day for 3 days and you should see a huge improvement. At the height of my ME wouldn't have been without it through the winter.Common cold season starts around October, so no surprise.Good wishes for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you now, Jess? It was such an unfortunate incident that you came down with a cold making your situation worse. If in any case you would really need help, there are a lot of trusted clinics such as U.S. Health Works that can accommodate your needs. I hope you will feel better soon, take care!

    Sandie Derouin @ US Health Works

    ReplyDelete